Thursday, August 15, 2019

Mission Trip 2019: Fayetteville  Day 4:

Let's start by recapping what happened before bed last night.
I tried to wash my clothes but the washing machine was quite busy so I had to wear some dirty clothes today.  Hopefully I didn't smell too bad today.  (My clothes are now in the dryer).

Also, I meandered through the church and noticed there are about 100 rooms in this church and many rooms have a comfy couch or chair in it, and I tried many of them.  The only thing I have failed to find while walking through the church is the main sanctuary.  Rev. Peter is going to show it to me in person tomorrow.  For now I settled on a picture.

Because of the rainy and stormy night, I had trouble sleeping so... I slept in.  Lorene and Rick were patiently waiting for me.  We have the longest commute to our work location. It takes about 30 minutes to get there.   On the way there we pass through Fayetteville State University and the large Fort Bragg military base.   At our work site we frequently have fly-overs of large military aircrafts.  Some are quite large.  I wonder how they stay in the air.  At least the house we are working on has a lot of shade trees in the yard to keep us cool.

Today, I continued with the quarter-round trim boards and base boards.  Rick got the last door hung.  
Then he and Davis started putting in the thresholds between the rooms.  (FYI, a threshold is the board that runs on the floor in the doorway between rooms).
Davis and I learned quite a bit this week about trimming; and to think my teachers said I was unteachable!
Tomorrow we will be going to a new house because we finished all Kelly had for us to do at our first house.  We will be doing similar work there.

Greg and his crew were able to roll out the vinyl-linoleum.  They just need to put quarter-round down, hang the ceiling fan and frame a new front door.  

Elvis' crew is still busy working on the roof at their home. On one side of the house they had to tear out all but the roof joists and start from there.  All they need to do tomorrow is put on the weather paper and shingles on the second half of the roof.

Carmen and his group continued to work on the flooring.  Tomorrow they will start by helping Greg's group change and frame the front door at Greg's work site.  Then they will complete the work at their job site.  

We were blessed with a delicious dinner Mel made for us.  She made wonderful lasagna, asparagus, zucchini and garlic bread.  If you so desire to try her cooking, you could visit her restaurant, "Mel's Place" in Cabot, Butler County.  
As soon as our group got back to Highland Church Jo treated us to a cold frozen treat in the form of Drumsticks, and we also had ice cream tonight after dinner!!!! (Thanks to Jo)

Tomorrow, per tradition, we will have dinner out.  We will be going to Fuller's BBQ buffet.  They also have seafood.  

Carmen once again led a wonderful devotion.  We discussed Mark 10:35-39.  Jo was very passionate about her faith.  She is not shy about spreading the gospel.

I personally liked how Carmen spoke about the Sea of Galilee being full of life and how it forms the Jordan River, which flows into the Dead Sea which is toxic to life.  God is like the Sea of Galilee, giving out water like the Jordan River into the Dead Sea.  
In case you have difficulty remembering the name of the place the Dead Sea... remember the mnemonic device, "The Dead Don't See."

Rev. Peter also gave a mini sermon about Organized Religion.   He said organized religion has a very important role in our society such as mission trips, hospital and institutions, and organizations that help people.  

Peace be with you all and good night. This is your reporter and typist signing off.
God Bless you
Clark and Sarah  












No comments:

Post a Comment

Epilogue

Hello all you persistent readers.  It's Clark again with these words.  Too bad my typist Sarah is not here to make this job easier for...